PORT DE PAIX HISTORY
The area around the town was given the name "Valparaíso" by Christopher Columbus after landing here on December 6, 1492 and still contains many attractive beaches and locations. A ferry operates between the town and Tortuga Island (La Tortue) situated just across the water.
The town was founded in 1665 by French filibusters, driven from Tortuga Island by the British occupiers. In 1679 the town saw the first black slave revolt. The area saw great success during the 19th century but in 1902 the town was almost entirely destroyed by fire, and never attained its former status.
Département du Nord-Ouest
Le département du Nord-Ouest est divisé en 3 Arrondissements et 10 Communes :